People traveling by bus are welcome in Carrara. The Carrara marble quarries and their territory are accessible even by tourist buses with large groups of travelers.
In order to reach the marble quarries by bus, pay attention to travel on public roads and follow the recommended routes based on the size of your bus.
The following itineraries permit to enjoy unique landscapes and learn more about the history of excavation and transportation of marble, visit the sculpture workshops and Carrara town center, UNESCO site for Creativity in Marble Crafts.
Itineraries for buses up to 12,50 meters of length
Marble quarries for groups traveling by coach with a length up to 12,50 meters.
For many tourist buses, this is the standard size that can accommodate up to about 50 people, with buses of maximum mt. 12.50 in length you can go either in the Fantiscritti valley or in the Colonnata valley.
Excursions with a tourist guide to the marble quarries, the historic center of Carrara, the sculpture workshops, the village of Colonnata famous for its lard.
Buses of this length can access both the Fantiscritti and the Colonnata valleys:
Itineraries for tourist buses exceeding 12,50 meters of length.
Nowadays many tourist buses exceed the standard sizes, reaching even 13/14 meters in length and two floors height. This type of vehicles are allowed to travel along the Colonnata valley only.
Of course, you can then continue your visit to the historic center of Carrara, to the sculpture workshops, to the village of Colonnata famous for its pig’s back-fat.
The tourist buses of this length can only access the Colonnata valley:
If you decide to remain for the whole day in Carrara (as I hope), see here the options available:
- Match together the half day itineraries described above: marble quarries, Colonnata, Carrara town center, sculpture studio.
- Visit of marble workshops specialized in interior design, where floors, kitchen counters, table tops are manufactured. Needs reservation and suitable for small groups only.
- Guided walk of other charming towns in the vicinity of Carrara: Sarzana, Pontremoli, Pietrasanta, Lucca, La Spezia, Lerici, Portovenere.
General Information about the tours
Availability: all year round.
Type of tour: guided with a local licensed guide.
Suitable for: pre-organized groups of tourists.
Transportation: your own bus. Pay attention to the size of your bus.
Ticket bus: to access the territory of Carrara a € 50,00 ticket is required. This can be paid at the checkpoint. Without a guide, the ticket is € 100,00
Duration: Half day (approx 3 hrs) – Full Day (approx 7 hrs)
Activity level: moderate. You walk for short distances on a flat terrain. In case you wish to reach Colonnata village, the bus must park below and it’s needed 20 minutes walk uphill to reach the village.
Advised clothing: comfortable clothing, boots or sneakers because you will be walking in partly dusty/muddy places. Especially in Summer sunscreen, hat and sunglasses are advised.
Meeting point: Carrara highway exit. On request the guide could meet the group at the hotel, in this case, an extra will be charged.
The rate for tourist guide service taxes included are:
- Half day max 3/3,5 hrs € 170,00
- Full Day max 7 hrs € 320,00
- Read here the Terms and Conditions
- On request, we offer a package tour inclusive of tour guide, meals, food tastings, entrance tickets, eventual 4×4 tour. In this case the, organization and invoicing by V&D Viaggi & Dintorni travel agency.