Guided tour of the Carrara marble caves and visit of the sculpture workshop in order to watch the artisans at work.
Meet the tour guide and depart to the world’s largest marble quarries, during the journey your local guide provides relevant information about the history, the economy and the geology of the territory.
Arrival at Fantiscritti and leave the coach in the parking lot, then proceed to visit a private open-air exhibition of tools and equipment (entrance at free offer) really helpful to understand the history of marble excavation and transportation throughout the centuries, since the Romans until now.
Free time for visiting the marble souvenir shops follows.
Depart by coach to one of the several workshops of sculpture where, watching the sculptors at work, learn more about tools and methods still used for the making of marble works of art. Admission fee.
*** Opportunity to upgrade the itinerary by:
- Visiting the famous “underground quarry”, unique experience. Admission fee.
- Organizing a snack or light lunch inside the “underground quarry”
- Riding a Land Rover to the top of the marble mountains. A touch of thrill and breathtaking views.
- Having a sculpting class, suitable for groups up to (20/25 pax). In around 3 hrs, with the help of the sculptor, learn how to carve a piece of marble with hammer and chisel. Custom quotation.
If you decide to remain for the whole day in Carrara (as I hope), see here the options available:
- Match together the half day itineraries described above: marble quarries, Colonnata, Carrara town center, sculpture studio.
- Visit of marble workshops specialized in interior design, where floors, kitchen counters, table tops, etc etc are manufactured. Needs reservation and suitable for small groups only.
- Have a 3 hrs sculpting class in a marble workshop. The master teaches you how to make your own marble work with hammer and chisel.
- Guided walk of other charming towns in the vicinity of Carrara: Sarzana, Pontremoli, Pietrasanta, Lucca, La Spezia, Lerici, Portovenere.