Guided tour discovering the marble mines and visit the Carrara town center recently included in the UNESCO list for the Creative cities for marble crafts.
Meet the tour guide and depart to the world’s largest marble quarries, during the journey your local guide provides relevant information about the history, the economy and the geology of the territory.
Arrival at the “cava Romana” (Roman quarry) archaeological site where your tour guide will explain how the ancient Romans were detaching marble blocks from the mountains. At the same time enjoy the panorama of working quarries surrounding the area.
Free time for visiting the marble souvenir shops follows.
Afterward, depart to Carrara town center, the white marble made town. The guided sightseeing includes the medieval area of Carrara with the Duomo and Malaspina castle, Alberica square (Renaissance side) and ends up in the modern Carrara.
*** Opportunity to upgrade the itinerary by:
- Visiting an open cast working quarry. Admission fee.
- Have a 4×4 experience by riding on the very top of the marble mountains. A touch of thrill and breathtaking views. Admission fee.
If you decide to remain for the whole day in Carrara (as I hope), see here the options available:
- Match together the half day itineraries described above: marble quarries, Colonnata, Carrara town center, sculpture studio.
- Visit of marble workshops specialized in interior design, where floors, kitchen counters, table tops, etc etc are manufactured. Needs reservation and suitable for small groups only.
- Guided walk of other charming towns in the vicinity of Carrara: Sarzana, Pontremoli, Pietrasanta, Lucca, La Spezia, Lerici, Portovenere.