Local expert guide sightseeing to discover the Carrara marble mines and watch the artisans at work in the sculpture workshops.
Meet the tour guide and depart to the world’s largest marble quarries, during the journey your local guide provides relevant information about the history, the economy and the geology of the territory.
Arrival at the “cava Romana” (Roman quarry) archaeological site where your tour guide will explain how the ancient Romans were detaching marble blocks from the mountains. At the same time enjoy the panorama of working quarries surrounding the area.
Free time for visiting the marble souvenir shops follows.
Depart by coach to one of the sculpture studios active in Carrara area. Here, watching the artists at work, know more about tools and methods still used for the making of marble works of art. Admission fee.
*** Opportunity to upgrade the itinerary by:
- Visiting an open cast marble quarry. Admission fee.
- Riding a Land Rover to the top of the marble mountains. A touch of thrill and breathtaking views.
- Having a sculpting class, suitable for groups up to (20/25 pax). In around 3 hrs, with the help of the sculptor, learn how to carve a piece of marble with hammer and chisel. Custom quotation.
If you decide to remain for the whole day in Carrara (as I hope), see here the options available:
- Match together the half day itineraries described above: marble quarries, Colonnata, Carrara town center, sculpture studio.
- Visit of marble workshops specialized in interior design, where floors, kitchen counters, table tops, are manufactured. Needs reservation and suitable for small groups only.
- Guided walk of other charming towns in the vicinity of Carrara: Sarzana, Pontremoli, Pietrasanta, Lucca, La Spezia, Lerici, Portovenere.