Guided sightseeing of the marble caves and the visit to a workshop of sculpture.
Private excursion to Carrara marble mines and to a workshop of art. Know more about the geology of marble, the methods of excavation and transportation of marble throughout 2000 years and the making a marble statue.
Available: all year round. Since the itinerary partly involves working areas, could be subjected to modifications according to the working conditions of the visited venues. On Sundays and holidays, the itinerary could be modified.
Type of tour: Private tour with English speaking driver-guide, I do not arrange shared tours.
Suitable for: individuals, small and large groups.
Transportation: 7 or 8 seater minivan.
I opted for a minivan after having a Land Rover. The 4×4 is more adventurous but the minivan guarantees more comfort, more legroom, wider windows, air conditioning and opportunity of pick up at your hotel. Anyway, on request, I can arrange a 4×4 ride.
Duration: half day (3 hrs) – Full day (7 hrs).
Activity Level: moderate (easy pace, walk for short distances in a flat).
Advised clothing: comfortable shoes and clothes, no moccasins or high heels because of walking partly in the dirty or in muddy places. Sunglasses, hat/cap, sunscreen are advised during the Summer. Before the tour will be provided hardhat and orange vest according to the in force safety rules.
Meeting place: Carrara train station or highway exit. On request transfer service can be arranged from your accommodation.
Half day tour small groups (max 3 hrs):
- 1/2 persons € 160
- 3/4 persons € 200
- 5/6 persons € 240
- 7/8 persons € 300
- The eventual 4×4 ride is not included in the price. Quotation on request.
- Eventual visit of the underground quarry is not included. Price € 10,00pp
Full day tour (max 7 hrs) quotation on request.
Family groups 10% discount
For large groups quotation on request.
- English speaking driver-guide adhering to the Travel Safely Project.
- Private minivan transportation.
- In-depth information about 2000 years of excavation and transportation of Carrara marble.
- Visit working opencast marble quarries.
- Visit an outdoor exhibition of tools and equipment used for the excavation and transportation of marble.
- Ride as far as (almost) 1000 mt. altitude to enjoy breathtaking scenarios.
- Free time for the eventual visit to marble souvenir shops.
- Visit a workshop of sculpture.
- If a full day itinerary is requested a custom itinerary will be arranged with the relative quotation.
- On request, even lunches, accommodations, and other services can be arranged. In this case, organization and invoicing will be done by Viaggi & Dintorni travel agency.
This is a sample itinerary that can be modified according to your wishes or interests, to make the Carrara marble quarries tour your “trip of a lifetime”.
Meet the driver guide and depart to the marble mines area, travel along paved roads through the marble valleys and climb almost to the top (almost 1000 mt. altitude – 3000 ft), from up there the views is simply breathtaking and will be easier to learn more about the geology of such a unique white stone: Carrara marble.
Visit an open cast marble quarry, from a safe spot (approx 20 mt. far from the operations) see the Quarrymen at work in order to learn more about the modern methods of excavation.
Afterward, let’s recap by exploring an open-air exhibition where are visible tools and equipment really useful for explaining both ancient and modern methods of excavation and transportation of marble since the ancient Romans until today.
After some free time to dedicate to the souvenir shops (optional) move into a workshop of sculpture (on weekdays and Saturday morning) where, by watching sculptors that are true highly skilled artisans at work in their studios, know more about “……the art of removing…”.
This is more or less the program of a half day tour, if you wish to extend it to a full day tour, you might add:
- Lunch in Colonnata (the oldest quarrymen village).
- Have a 3 hrs sculpting class in a marble workshop. The master teaches you how to make your own marble work with hammer and chisel.
- Visit Carrara town center.
- Visit marble workshops where floors, table tops, kitchen counters, etc etc are made
- Move to Lucca or Pisa and visit one of those beautiful towns.