Guided sightseeing of the marble caves and the manufacturing workshops.
Private excursion to the Carrara marble mines and to the craftsmen studios where are made floors, table tops, kitchen counters, tubs, sinks, and all the products that made Carrara worldwide famous.
Available: all year round. Sundays and holidays the itinerary could be modified.
Type of tour: Private tour with English speaking driver-guide, I do not arrange shared tours.
Suitable for: individuals and small and large groups of architects, interior designers, home furniture designers, or people really interested to learn more about marble manufacturing.
Transportation: 7 or 8 seater minivan and if necessary by 4×4.
I opted for a minivan after having a Land Rover. The 4×4 is more adventurous but the minivan guarantees more comfort, more legroom, wider windows, air conditioning and opportunity of pick up at your hotel. Anyway, on request, I can arrange a 4×4 ride.
Duration: half day (3 hrs) – Full day (7 hrs).
Activity Level: moderate (easy pace, walk for short distances in a flat).
Advised clothing: comfortable shoes and clothes, no moccasins or high heels because of walking partly in the dirty or in muddy places. Sunglasses, hat/cap, sunscreen are advised during the Summer. Before the tour will be provided hardhat and orange vest according to the in force safety rules.
Meeting place: Carrara train station or highway exit. On request transfer service can be arranged from your accommodation.
Half day tour small groups (max 3 hrs):
- 1/2 persons € 180
- 3/4 persons € 220
- 5/6 persons € 260
- 7/8 persons € 320
- The eventual 4×4 ride is not included in the price. Quotation on request.
- Eventual visit of the underground quarry is not included. Price € 10,00 pp
Full day tour (max 7 hrs) quotation on request.
Family groups 10% discount
For large groups quotation on request.
- English speaking driver-guide adhering to the Travel Safely Project.
- Private minivan transportation.
- In-depth information about geology and history of excavation and transportation of Carrara marble.
- Visit working marble caves (open pit quarries).
- Visit some workshops where local artisans make high-value custom works for buildings, palaces, hotels, villas, yachts, cruise ships.
- Free time for the eventual visit to marble souvenir shops.
- Sculpting class in a workshop of art can be arranged on request.
- On request, even airport transfers, lunches, and other services can be arranged. In this case, organization and invoicing will be done by Viaggi & Dintorni travel agency.
Carrara is the world’s most important place for excavation and manufacturing of marble. This is a sample itinerary that can highly customize according to your special interests or for watching from where comes a certain type of marble, in order to combine the Carrara marble tour and your major business interest.
Meet the driver guide and depart to the marble caves area, journey along mountains roads through the marble valleys and enjoy those unique scenarios from almost 1000 mt. altitude (approx. 3000 ft).
Visit an open cast marble quarry (open pit marble quarry), from a safe spot (approx 20 mt. far from the operations) see the Quarrymen at work in order to learn more about the modern methods of excavation.
Dedicate the rest of the time to visiting some of the best studios where the tradition in marble manufacturing is carried on from generation to generation for making works like flooring, staircases, tubs, kitchen counters, inlay works that are admired and worldwide appreciated.
This is roughly the program of a half day tour, if you wish to extend it to a full day tour, you might add:
- Lunch in Colonnata (the oldest quarrymen village).
- Have a 3 hrs sculpting class in a marble workshop. The master teaches you how to make your own marble work with hammer and chisel.
- Visit Carrara town center.
- Visit marble workshops where floors, table tops, kitchen counters, are made
- Move to Lucca or Pisa and visit one of those beautiful towns.